The concept of time and place might seem blurry to most of us, as we’re still on quarantine schedules, but there’s one date we could never forget. It’s National Boba Day today!
If you’re missing your go-to boba place and can’t make it outside for takeout or even delivery, try making it at home. Below is a simple recipe, inspired by the Peaceful Cuisine YouTube channel. It’s guaranteed to wake up your inner barista and give you a sweet addition to a stressful day.
To make two cups of bubble milk tea, make sure you get the necessary ingredients below:
1 package of tapioca pearls, available on Amazon
10.5 oz of water
Tea of your choice (loose leaf or bag works)
10.5 oz of milk of your choice
2 tsp of maple syrup, honey, sugar or any other sweeteners you like
Once you’ve gathered all the materials, let’s get started!
1. Brew the tea in a pot for between one and two minutes.
2. Pour the milk into the teapot, bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
3. In a separate pot, boil the tapioca pearls for a little under two minutes, or until they float to the surface of the water.
4. Take the boba out, soak it in your preferred sweetener.
5. Scoop up the pearls and pour the milk tea mixture in. You can drink it hot, or add ice for a refreshing beverage.
Recreating one’s favorite food or drinks has been a popular pastime for many people since the beginning of nationwide stay-at-home orders, and this makes for a safer way to enjoy a subtle Asian holiday. Don’t forget to have fun, and share with us a photo of your own bubble tea made with these instructions!
At the 18th Unforgettable Gala last December, some of your favorite AAPI celebs shared with us their favorite boba orders. If you’re looking to try a new flavor after shelter-in-place orders have lifted, check out the video below.