by JAMES S. KIM | @james_s_kim
Fans of the “Korean Superboy” will have to wait a bit longer to see him back in the Octagon.
Doo-ho Choi was forced out of his matchup with Sam Sicilia due to undisclosed reasons, according to a report from MMA Junkie, who cited unnamed UFC officials. Choi and Sicilia were primed for a prelim slot in UFC Fight Night 71, set for July 15 in San Diego.
This is the second time the 24-year-old fighter had been pulled from a fight—an injury forced him to miss the first matchup with Sicilia in May 2014. Choi has only fought once since signing with the UFC in late 2013, but his debut last November set expectations high when he knocked out Juan Puig in only 18 seconds.
“I never imagined that I’d win my first UFC fight that quickly,” Choi said in Korean, during an interview with KoreAm last December. “I feel like I got really lucky. When it was over, I wasn’t sure if it was real or if I was just dreaming. Everything just came too easy.”
“I try really hard to be mentally prepared, and more than anything, I go into fights and try to enjoy the moment,” he said. “As soon as I make up my mind and decide that I’m going to have fun in the fight, all my fears completely disappear.”
It was the sixth time Choi had finished an opponent in the first round and the ninth knockout of his young MMA career, which had spanned all of 13 pro bouts during his time with DEEP—a Japan-based MMA organization—and the Sengoku Raiden Championship. At 5’10” and weighing in at 145 lbs, Choi is known for his striking power, although he boasts a strong takedown defense.
Featured image via MONTSTERZYM (screenshot)